I am, indeed, a king, because I know how to rule myself.Pietro Aretinos
But do you know who ruled over Nepal? Or, who Nepali Kings were?
We know that Nepal is no longer under the rule of Monarchs. However, a lot of you are old enough to know at the very least 2 kings, aren’t you? Taking that into consideration you know how it feels to live under the rule of kings. Do you like their names?
For those who are younger, don’t worry as you did not miss much. Besides, before the rule of ex-King Gyanendra, nothing much really happened to cause many tremors.
Regardless, we have to admit that kings do have some really good names. Some of them even sound like names from fantasy novels.
Want to know what those names are? Or who knows some of you might already have those names.
Well, we have just that. Here we list the names of the kings who have ruled over Nepal. You can very well find your name in here or a name that you find good for your future sons.
Names of Nepali Kings
Following is a long list of Nepali Kings – those who ruled this land long before we existed. They were the people who fought for their respective nations within Nepal before the conquest by King Prithivi Narayan Shaha. After the conquest, his descendants ruled Nepal till recent times. They did good as well as they did bad, nonetheless, they ruled Nepal.
- Abhaya Malla – He was the King of Nepal from 1216 AD to 1255 AD.
2. Amara Malla – He Ruled Kantipur from 1530 AD to 1538 AD. Not much is known about him.
3. Amaradeva – He was the Licchvi King of Nepal. Not much is Known about him either.
4. Aṃshuvarmā – He ruled from 595 CE to 621 CE. Nepali Handicraft expanded during his rule.
5. Ananta Malla – He ruled Nepal from 1274 CE to 1320 CE.
6. Ari Deva – He was the ruler of Nepal from 1201 CE to 1216 CE.
7. Bhaskara Malla – He was the ruler of Kathmandu from 1700 AD to 1714 AD.
8. Bhupalendra Malla – He was the king of Kathmandu from 1687 AD to 1700 AD.
9. Bhupatindra Malla– He was the ruler of Bhaktapur from 1696 AD to 1722 AD.
10. Birendra Bir Bikram Shah – He was the second last king of Nepal who ruled from 1972 AD to 2001 AD.
11. Chakravartendra Malla – He was the ruler of Katmandu for the year of 1669 AD.
12. Dala Mardan Shah – He ruled Lalitpur from 1762 AD to 1763 AD.
13. Dharmadeva – He was a Lichhavi ruler of Nepal who ruled for the year of 450 CE
14. Dhruvadevi – He was the Licjjavi King of Nepal from 624 CE to 625 CE
15. Dipendra Bir Bikram Shah – He was the King of Nepal while in Coma for three days after the royal massacre from 1st to 4th June of 2001 AD.
16. Gaṇadeva – He was the Lichhavi ruler of who ruled his dynasty from 560 CE to 565 CE
17. Gaṅgādeva – He was the ruler of Lichhavi Dynasty from 567 CE to 573 CE.
18. Girvan Yudha Bikram Shah – He was the ruler of Nepal from 1799 AD to 1816 AD.
19. Guṇakāmadeva – He was the ruler from the Lichhavi Dynasty of Nepal. Not much is known about him.
20. Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah – He was the last king of Nepal before the Democracy. He ruled from 2001 AD to 2008 AD.
21. ndra Malla (Purandara Malla) – He was the ruler of Lalitpur form 1706 AD to 1709 AD.
22. Jagajjaya Malla – He was the ruler of Kathmandu from 1722 AD to 1736 AD.
23. Jagat Prakasha Malla – He was the ruler of Bhaktapur from 1644 to 1673 AD.
24. Jaya Prakash Malla – He is among those few kings of who reigned twice. He ruled Kantipur first from 1736 AD to 1746 AD and then again from 1750 AD to 1768 AD .
25. Jayadeva Malla – He was the ruler of Kathmandu Valley (Nepa: Mandala) from 1255 AD to 1258 AD.
26. Jyoti Prakash Malla– He was the King of Kantipur from 1746 AD to 1750 AD.
27. Loka Prakash Malla – He was the ruler of Lalitpur from 1705 AD to 1706 AD.
28. Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah – He was the Father of King Birendra and the son of King Tribhuwan. He reigned over Nepal from 1955 AD to 1972 AD.
29. Mahipatendra Malla – He ruled Kantipur on the year of 1670 AD.
30. Mānadeva I – He was a Lichhavi ruler who ruled from 464 CE to 505 CE.
31. Narendra Malla – He reigned over Kantipur from 1538 AD to 1560 AD.
32. Naresha Malla – He was the ruler of Bhaktapur who reigned from 1637 AD to 1644 AD.
33. Pratap Malla – He was the king of Kantipur who ruled from 1641 AD to 1674 AD
34. Prithvi Bir Bikram Shah – He was the father of King Tribhvan Bir Bikram Shan and was the king of Nepal from 1881 AD to 1911 AD.
35. Prithvi Narayan Shah – He was the first king of the now Unified Nepal and reigned from 1743 AD to 1768 AD
36. Rajendra Bikram Shah– He was the Father of Surendra Bikram Shah. He reigned over Nepal from 1816 AD to 1847 AD. The infamous Kot Parba also happened during his rule of Nepal.
37. Rana Bahadur Shah – He is one of the those few kings were exiled from their kinghood. He reigned over Nepal from 1777 AD to 1799AD.
38. Ratna Malla – He was the king of Bhaktapur who ruled from 1482 AD to 1504 AD.
39. Shivasimha Malla – His name literally means lion of the lord Shiva. He was the king of Kantipur who rule from 1582 AD to 1620 AD.
40. Siddhi Narasingh Malla – He was the king of Lalitpur who ruled from 1620 AD to 1661 AD. You can see his statue in the middle of Mangal Bazar on top of a Stone Piller.
41. Surendra Bikram Shah – He was the father of King Prithhvi Bir Bikram Shah who ruled over Nepal from 1847 AD to 1881 AD.
42. Surya Malla – He was the ruler of Kathmandu who reigned as a king from 1520 AD to 1530 AD.
43. Tej Narasimha Malla – He was the king of Lalitpur who ruled from 1765 AD to 1768 AD.
44. Tribhuvan Bir Bikram Shah – He was the father of former king Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah and ruled over Nepal from 1911 AD to 1950 AD.
45. Vir Malla– He was the king of Bhaktapur who ruled form 1504 AD to 1505 AD.
46. Yoga Narendra Malla – He was the king of Lalitpur who ruled form 1685AD to 1705 AD.
47. Yoga Prakash Malla – He was the king of Lalitpur who ruled from 1722 AD to 1729 AD
Admittedly, these are not all of the kings in Nepal. Nepal was not just Nepal but a combination of multiple small kingdoms back in the days and there have been many more kings than just these.
CE and AD are just some of the year system.
Before we go,
Nepal has a long history and while we do know a lot about it, there are also parts that we have no idea about. The rule of the Nepali kings goes much further than what we currently know as this place we call Nepal has existed for a long time in one form or another.
So lets preserve what we have and keep the records of these names safe.
We learn from our mistakes,
We learn from our past
And as always, thank you for reading till the end. If you have any suggestions for us, do let us know them in the comments down below.